The rates do look quite attractive - up to 40% cheaper than India for call center work. There is one company - Rising Data Solutions www.risingdata.com
- that has a presence in Washington D.C. and is run by Ghanaian management. They might be a good source for information.
A friend of mine, originally from Ghana, suggests the following questions be asked of an African service provider - followed up by a site visit to ensure all claims are valid:
1. Given the unreliable supply of electricity, water, telephone service, etc, what infrastructural investments has your firm made?
2. Some customers may be sharing sensitive personal data with call operators. How does your firm maintain client confidentiality and guard against fraudulent activity?
3. US customers are not comfortable with "foreign" accents (with some exceptions). Can your firm guarantee that all operators, now and in the future, will be clearly understandable and acceptable to US customers?
4. How secure are the physical location(s) and computer systems?